Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs Nuclear is the Design and Engineering partner for Sellafield under the PPP (Programme and Project Partners). This is a 20-year arrangement to deliver ~£7bn of major projects. We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. PPP is delivering major projects, site wide improvements and provision of supporting services.
Jacobs Nuclear provides the front end design and engineering capability across the PPP portfolio. Being part of the PPP Team offers a unique opportunity to drive change and innovation in engineering, safety and delivery solutions in one of the most complex industrial sites in the UK if not the world. We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves and in meeting new challenges.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you to support a key project within the nuclear business.
We are currently looking for a Senior Civil/Structural Technician to join the team in Birchwood.
Design work on LSS1 continues with Concept Stage now complete. As this project moves into the Preliminary and Detailed design stages there is a requirement to grow the existing team. You will be joining the Civil, Structural and Architectural team, which is currently ten deep.
The CS&A team are part of a wider multi-disciplinary delivery group comprising Mechanical, CE&I, Safety, Process Engineers and a Project Management Team.
LSS1 is a Mechanical handling plant on the Sellafield Site with particular features that make this the first in class for this type of facility.
The team is based in Birchwood but has been successfully combining remote working with some attendance in the design office.
This challenge has been met with a weekly online meeting across the whole of the CS&A team and the development of specific groups including a cross discipline team for 3D modelling.
Whether in the office or working remotely, the ethos is to encourage team members to develop their own ways of working and to create their own solutions to design challenges.
The challenge of this project is that it has different features to other plants and that it is schedule inspired. The team needs to continue to rise to that challenge in developing new and imaginative solutions within these tight timescales. You will be expected to fully contribute to meeting these challenges.
You will be working in the delivery of engineering design work packages through preliminary and detailed design. Your responsibilities will include:
• Creating civil and structural drawings and details from agreed work scopes with minimum input from engineering personnel
• 3D modelling & detailing of both civil and structural works, from preliminary design stage to construction
• Provide guidance to and supervise the work of more junior technicians/designers
• Work closely with the Civil and Structural engineering team, and as part of the wider design team
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Appropriate qualifications in Civil/Structural Design e.g. MEng, BEng, BSC, HND, HNC
• Experience in projects delivering civil and structural design solutions
• Understanding of project delivery through all stages of design (from concept to construction)
• Experience in Eurocodes and Seismic Design Codes for reinforced concrete structures
• Experience in integrating CAE design within BIM modelling and processes
• Sound technical background and strong knowledge of manual and CAD draughting techniques
• Conversant with codes of practice, standards and relevant sections of statutory documentation applicable to draughting
• Conversant with company quality control assurance requirements applicable to draughting function
• Able to provide draughting checking function as directed by engineering personnel
• Knowledge of CAD packages, Autocad, REVIT, Navisworks, Civils 3D, etc.
• Nuclear industry experience
• Knowledge of the Sellafield Ltd Management System (SLMS)
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record.
If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
- Engineering Design Process
- Structural Engineering
- Computer Aided Engineering (Cae)
- Autodesk Revit
- Euro Codes (Building Code)
- Design Codes