About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join our BB Kilpatrick team to work in Smethwick.
What you'll be doing
- Provide overall control, management and take sole responsibility for the delivery of section of the site based construction project work and/or assist (Senior) Project Manager in the management and delivery of sections of a larger scale project or projects;
- To provide management, leadership and control of a multi-disciplinary team. Management of trade contractors and their integration is key to the role, as is an ability to manage site logistics;
- To meet customer specifications (safety, quality, time, etc.) such that all risk, specification and project objectives are met in full.
As a Project Manager you will:
- Have overall responsibility for the successful completion of the section or works/overall project and to lead by example, managing the day to day delivery of construction projects;
- Ensure site records are accurately maintained and available;
- Ensure all team members are fully inducted and carry out role specific requirements, identifying opportunities for improvement;
- Lead and motivate the team and manage performance, undertaking training/ coaching as appropriate;
- Draw up and monitor short term programmes;
- Maintain accurate progress records;
- Deliver regular Toolbox Talks and positively engage the team;
- Awareness of budget, cost control and cost recovery, ensuring that expenditure is in line with the contract budget and that resources are utilised efficiently.
Health Safety & Environmental:
- Be responsible for the safety and welfare of the general public, staff and supply chain within area of control under the strict observance of the safety policy and in conjunction with local HSE;
- Carry out periodic Safety & Environment Tours as required by the Project H & S Plan;
- Support Accident / Incident Investigations;
- Identify and implement improvement options and lead action / instigate as appropriate;
- Lead periodic risk reviews and present to the Project Risk Register, and recommend changes;
- Monitor effectiveness of the H & S Management System;
- Keep up to date with changes in legislation and cascade information to the team.
- Manage sub-contractors, including monitoring of contractor attendance and progress, providing direct instruction and support as necessary, such that contractual arrangements are achieved;
- Produce and regularly review the project programme to ensure completion on time under the supervision of a Project Manager;
- Ensure that detailed plans are available commensurate with the overall project plan, such that material/resources/supply chain can be delivered to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Maintain targets and KPIs in line with Project objectives and monitor performance;
- Ensure site audits are undertaken and take appropriate action on the findings;
- Proactively implement systems and processes to manage the quality of the constructive works;
- Lead working groups focused on Improvement Areas.
Who we're looking for
- Carry out constructive analysis of fully resourced programme and report findings;
- Manage sub-contractor performance based on KPIs;
- Ensure production of operational target programmes to reflect overall construction programme;
- Liaise with Project Manager to keep fully aware of project progress and ensure that all additional work is identified and that the Senior Project Team are notified of all potential opportunities and financial, specification and time risks;
- Lead weekly team meetings to review performance on site;
- Appreciate the commercial implications and drivers within the construction process and incorporate these into decision making, working closely with the projects Surveyor.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
Health Safety & Environmental:
- A successful track record in managing operational delivery within a construction environment;
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately, and experience in implementing systems improvements;
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity; experienced at encouraging direct reports to do the same and managing a team to ensure tasks are carried out effectively and key messages cascaded.
- Ability to work under pressure to deadlines, and a flexible attitude towards work in order to deal with a variable and demanding workload;
- CSCS Card and SMSTS qualified; must be willing to become First Aid qualified;
- Excellent team player and team leader, able to work competently and independently without supervision;
- Able and willing to make decisions following consideration of options based on best available information; track record of solution orientated approach to resolve issues;
- Excellent communication skills with good interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Ability to confidently deliver presentations;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (MS Word, Excel);
- Excellent role model for team and demonstrates required behaviours to align to business, project and team objectives;
- Is a self-starter who can manage their own time;
- Strong leadership and management skills, with experience of managing a multi-disciplined team.
- Understands method statements and can coach others in document production;
- Understands and can guide others in the principles of Accident / Incident Investigation Good working knowledge of current H & S legislation;
- Proficient in the application of H&S management.
- Understands the Organisational Business Management Systems and processes;
- Clear understanding and experience of the requirements for handover and self-certification of the works.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Used to setting and successfully managing targets in line with budget;
- Able to produce a realistic programme and proactively track progress;
- Able to identify elements for cost recovery from others and guide team members in maintaining project records;
- Good understanding of the standard forms of contracts.
Why work for us
- Experience of working on a variety of project types;
- Scaffold awareness/experience;
- Temporary Works experience;
- Holds a relevant formal qualification or is pursuing one Holds a current driving license.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
We deliver flexible civil engineering and construction services from regional hubs and UK-wide local delivery units, aligned to chosen sectors.
Responsible for close to 2 billion of turnover annually, our teams deliver regional and national framework contracts, new builds, refurbishment and fit out across a number of core markets.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
click here to continue.-->
- Decision Making
- Health Safety And Environment
- Coaching And Mentoring