This position is responsible for the development, implementation, and ongoing support of a Best-in-Class Asset Management Model for all AVANGRID T&S Assets. This role will provide data analysis and subject matter expertise to the organization including health and risk assessments of the population of T&S assets as well as supporting repair or replace asset strategies.
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining a T&S field survey methodology and criteria, facility prioritization and annual schedule of surveys, and the development of a survey assessment tool in support of AVANGRID’s Asset Condition Replacement Strategy. This information will be used to inform an overall T&S facility priority ranking, by OpCo, and put the T&S Project Development Team in a position to perform comprehensive needs and solutions assessments on those T&S facilities, identified as most critical.
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining various criteria, standards, and process documents (e.g. T&S “Brownfield” needs and solutions replacement strategy, etc.) which will aid in the execution of T&S field surveys, analysis for pre-conceptual/conceptual engineering activities, and comprehensive needs and solutions assessments. This role is expected to be Planning’s “go-to” resource when it comes to health assessments of our fleet of T&S assets as well as the application of industry codes & standards (e.g. NESC, ASCE, ISO 55000, etc.) in support of project development.
Specific responsibilities include leading AVANGRID efforts to:
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve a best in class T&S Asset Management program.
- Assess, recommend, and implement organizational process and resource changes and make use of latest technology to improve efficiencies.
- Influence the organization’s acceptance and use of asset management best practices in daily activities.
- Actively collaborate with other companies and industry peers (e.g. CEAITI, AMI, NATF, etc.) to ensure appropriate continual improvement and benchmarking.
- Influence positive regulatory outcomes by preparing, submitting, and defending (e.g. witness, etc.) high quality asset management strategies and policies that drive prudent decision making and reliability improvements.
- Develop and build collaborative relationships with internal business areas (e.g. Operations, Maintenance, etc.) as well as external stakeholders (e.g. regulators and ISO’s) by providing subject matter expertise as well as thoughtful, prudent, and well documented support for AVANGRID’s AM practices.
- Develop and implement methods to objectively monitor health, risk, performance and rates of deterioration or improvement of AVANGRID’s T&S asset base.
- Develop and continually maintain AVANGRID’s Asset Condition Criteria (e.g. T&S Brownfield Minimum Criteria and Guidance). Updates to these criteria will be informed by the development of new techniques and methods to analyze T&S facilities and information obtained by performing T&S surveys.
- Actively monitors industry standards (e.g. NESC, ASCE) in support of best practices and represents T&S Asset Planning in the review and endorsement of AVANGRID’s TM Design Standards.
- SME responsible for overseeing, developing, and maintaining the tools necessary for +200/-50% (IP1) project cost estimates for project development.
- Develops comprehensive multi-year T&S facility/drone inspection programs and schedules to support OpCo rate case preparation and establish the basis for future project opportunities.
Strategic and Technical Leadership: Provides strategic leadership and collaboration with teams across multiple business areas. Initiates, leads, collaborates an advises on a broad range of Asset Management issues, T&S project technical reviews, Equipment Standardization, etc. Provides technical leadership of internal or external contractor teams working across multiple operating companies and geographic locations.
Communicate, influence and motivate: Use of excellent verbal and written communication skills with all levels of management to inform and influence others, providing strategic input for business plans and decision making. Serves as a witness on regulatory and technical issues to advance business objectives (ISO’s, siting council, PUC’s, etc.). Represent AVANGRID in national and regional forums.
Predict needs, inform project opportunities: Initiate and lead asset class and comprehensive T&S facility assessment studies to identify system needs, and evaluate threats/opportunities. Establishment of strategy for the prioritization of system-wide needs and the development of conceptual-level (IP1) solutions to address needs.
Technical Skills and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Structural related Engineering discipline. An advanced education such as an MBA and/or a Professional Engineering License is a plus.
- 10 years of related experience in Transmission and Substation (T&S) planning, design, operations, asset management or maintenance. Demonstrated ability to develop and lead teams in solving unique and complex problems having a broad impact on the Transmission Business.
- Candidates with broad skills that include utility asset management (e.g. ISO 55000, Institute of Asset Management, etc.) along with Operations, Maintenance, and or Engineering design expertise are strongly preferred.
The following skills and associated competency levels are desired of those candidates seeking a position in T&S Asset Management. However, offsetting industry and other relevant technical skills will be considered for candidates without previous experience in specific Asset Management activities (e.g. T&S Engineering, P&C, Operations, etc.).
- Data Gathering and Analysis: Gathering, manipulating, analyzing, interpretation, and reporting of data to meet required level of rigor.
- Asset Assessments: Analysis, evaluation, algorithm development, alignment with business objectives, scoring, fleet analysis, technical report preparation.
- Project Development: Scoping, consideration of alternatives, sourcing of information, regulatory environment considerations, presentation of proposals to address asset health and risk issues.
- T&S Power Systems – Practical Knowledge: Planning, Design, Operations, & Maintenance (e.g. power systems, civil, structural, construction, etc.).
- Communicating/Influencing & Engineering Documentation: Understanding and conveying ideas clearly and convincingly. Includes Written, Verbal, Presentation Development. Ability to adequately document and interpret engineering documentation, review and approve engineering work done by others.
- Team Management: Ability to lead, and be accountable for, internal and external (consulting) staff toward a common goal. Includes the ability to organize, schedule, and lead a team toward the successful completion of commitments.
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ]
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ]
- Emergency Handling