Jacobs employs some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 7,000 people in locations across the UK. Our environmental team exceeds 800 staff in over a dozen offices in the UK and Ireland, and we are now looking to grow our environmental team in Europe
Our Water and Environment business provides a focus for advising our clients on environmental assessment and sustainability issues. The environmental impact assessment (EIA) of new infrastructure requires individuals with a broad range of knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and excellent people management skills in order to bring together a diverse team of environmental specialists to assess the impact of the infrastructure on the environment and influence design through mitigation.
Our work focuses on providing better infrastructure which considers future challenges such as climate change, the need for renewable energy, low carbon economies, and material resource and waste management. In the UK EIA and environmental legislation is currently based on EU Directives and our EIA consultants develop both their technical and project management skills through project delivery. We are currently developing our “Digital EIA” platform, to improve the efficiency and accuracy of our EIA assignments by standardising our approach to EIA and using software to improve the production of reports and drawings and using technology in stakeholder consultation.
We currently have an opportunity for an Environmental Impact Assessment Consultant to be based in Poland [Krakow or Warsaw]. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
• Working to support one or more senior EIA consultants in the delivery of major projects. This includes collating existing environmental data, supporting the delivery of Digital EIA, coordinating specialist assessment teams, engaging with statutory bodies, and contributing to the success of a projects programme.
• Help deliver the environmental assessment for a range of infrastructure projects especially in the transportation sector (highways and railways) in the first instance, but may expand to include electricity transmission, coastal and river flood defences, water and wastewater treatment, conventional and renewable energy.
• Work within a multi-discipline team to improve infrastructure designs and avoid environmental effects. Where effects are unavoidable, helping to develop and seek agreement for new and valuable mitigation.
• Arrange environmental site surveys and the collation of received data into digital platforms.
• Desk-based studies to interpret data and scope assessments.
• Communicating and liaising effectively with colleagues and clients across the UK and Ireland.
• Helping project managers with financial monitoring of projects, document control, progress reporting and other project management tasks.
• Identifying potential health and safety hazards of specific projects, developing risk assessments and method statements for safe working, and demonstrating a commitment to your own safety and that of those around you.
• Overseeing junior staff in Poland.
• A relevant degree, such as Geography or Environmental Sciences.
• 5-7 years of previous experience working for an environmental consultancy in EIA.
• Good spoken and written English and a willingness to liaise regularly with UK-based staff through MSTeams or similar software.
• A good understanding of environmental impacts associated with infrastructure developments, especially transport projects and flood defence schemes
• Understanding of EU environmental legislation including EIA Directives.
• Competent organisational skills.
• Good team working capabilities as well as the confidence to take responsibility for tasks allocated on an individual basis.
• Strong application of standard IT programmes, such as Microsoft Word and Excel or equivalent.
• Strong attention to detail and an ability to apply knowledge into practical schemes
• A Masters degree in a relevant discipline.
• UK EIA experience.
• Working knowledge of GIS application into EIA
• Membership of a relevant professional body or willingness to join one
• An ability to analyze and present data clearly, with experience of professional report writing.
• Experience in mentoring/overseeing junior staff
Starting your journey with Jacobs
This opportunity is for an individual to be based in Poland. While there may be opportunities for the individual to visit the UK for short visits on specific projects (and once current restrictions due to COVID-19 are removed), it is not intended for the successful candidate to relocate to the UK.
This role is ideally suited to a pro-active individual looking to use their initiative to progress their career. The post will work closest with our Environmental Assessment team, within the Consulting division of the Water and Environment business unit.
- Self Motivation
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Hardworking And Dedicated