About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor to join our Plant & Fleet business unit to work in Derby.
To support optimisation of the Plant & Logistics business units and deliver annual business plan, focussed on all pre and post contractual and commercial activities including:
What you'll be doing
- Development of, and ensuring compliance to robust commercial processes and procedures;
- Focussing on improving sustainable business revenue, profit and cashflow;
- Identifying area of cost improvement and contract delivery improvement in the business;
- Managing positive commercial relationship with both customers and suppliers analysing, negotiating, drafting and agreeing pre and post contractual terms as required;
- Managing contract position and any risk with supply chain in respect of any agreed terms with customer;
- Manage all project change, contract reporting requirements and commercial risk;
- Compile and deliver final accounts;
- Identify and monitor KPIs (supply chain, clients and team);
- Input into budget formulation, revenue, cost and risk;
- Continuous improvement and evolution of a suite of Modular terms and conditions;
- Harnessing effective communication to and from team members on new ideas and initiatives;
- Management of the business Stage Gate process, ensuring timely complaint submissions and approvals;
- Provide contract review and negotiation to meet internal governance and new work winning requirements;
- Provide regular revenue and cost optimisation and forecasting;
- Improve everyday approach to business;
- Identify and communicate client value to the team;
- Provide commercial support to business leads.
As a Quantity Surveyor, you will:
Who we're looking for
- Take initiative to respond in a timely manner to customer requirements;
- Work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures;
- Review and communicate project progress against programme;
- Plan commercial administrative activities in line with project programmes;
- Prepare financial cost of delay and disruption;
- Identify and communicate threats to budget and programme;
- Effectively manage all contract commercial requirements including compensation events and notices;
- Undertake risk and opportunity analysis;
- Advise on contractual matters and formulate timely correspondence as required by the contract;
- Analyses and develop rates and prices with Commercial Director and Business leads;
- Agree variations and/or compensation events as required;
- Collate cost and value information to conduct cost to value reconciliation;
- Prepare internal reports on commercial progress;
- Prepare capital expenditure plans, business cases and pricing strategies for new initiatives;
- Manage customer invoice queries to resolution;
- Prepare and negotiate customer final accounts;
- Effectively resolve claims and disputes as required;
- Report and explain commercial progress to senior staff;
- Undertake review of quoting/tender submissions to ensure commercial corporate governance is adhered to;
- Measure, record and value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures;
- Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates;
- Monitor spend and performance of suppliers;
- Analyse supplier pricing, KPIs and tender documents;
- Prepare contract flow down from main contacts;
- Have a good knowledge of and adhere to the Company's GMCEs, BMS and other governance;
- Order information and systematically check data;
- Use the company's ERP system;
Personal Qualities & Experience
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent;
Why work for us
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results);
- Previous Commercial work experience;
- Industry knowledge;
- Strong business skills and understanding of P&L;
- Focussed on customer excellence;
- Effective at timely change management.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty Plant & Fleet Services provides whole life fleet management and plant & equipment hire solutions to the Balfour Beatty Group.
Supplying over 8,000 cars, LCVs, and HGVs, as well as specialist plant and equipment, our teams have an intimate and up-to-date knowledge of the plant and fleet industry.
From specifying bespoke vehicles and equipment, to organising lease agreements, mobilising new contracts and delivering driver risk training, Plant & Fleet supports Balfour Beattys projects across the UK with an industry leading fleet of Zero Harm and sustainably specified equipment. This allows Balfour Beattys contract teams to focus on what they do best successfully delivering essential infrastructure projects.
We operate according to our Build to Last Values of Lean, Expert, Trusted, Safe and Sustainable.
We support each other to deliver and succeed, placing equal value on all perspectives by embracing diversity and inclusion. Together we deliver powerful new solutions, collaborating with governments, our customers and partners to shape thinking, create skylines and inspire a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
click here to continue.-->
- Pricing Strategies