Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become an Operator Trainee at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, under direct supervision of a Substation Operator, monitor, inspect, operate and maintain high voltage electrical equipment in electrical power transmission and distribution substations. The successful candidate will be expected to gain knowledge of various work processes with progressively difficult assignments throughout their training.
As an Operator Trainee, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Studies Operator's Manual, Accident Prevention Manual, Substation Operating and Maintenance Manuals, Station Instructions, blueprints, diagrams and equipment manuals.
- Performs operating duties under immediate supervision to learn the location, nomenclature, operation and general function of station equipment
- Performs operating methods, practices, procedures and techniques, to qualify for promotion to higher level Operator classifications.
- Successfully pass our six-month Operator Trainee program.
- Performs general housekeeping duties.
- One or more years of experience inspecting or troubleshooting mechanical, electrical and electronic components or formal Electrical Training Certification or Diploma through an Electrical Apprenticeship, Trade School, University, Community College or equivalent.
- Valid California driver license.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Electronics or related discipline.
- Ability to understand the function of a substation and related electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of Principles of Electricity and characteristics of Electrical AC and DC circuits; including basic ohms law and basic mechanical principals.
- Experience as an Electrician or related field.
- Prior Utility Industry experience.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions.
- Learn by observation, instruction and direction.
You should know ...
- Visit our [ Link removed ] to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
- Position will require up to 20% traveling and being out in the field throughout the Vincent Switching Center area of responsibility.
- Relocation does not apply to this position.
- This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties.
- This position requires testing and applicants who are identified to continue through the selection process will be invited to test via email. We invite you to visit our Candidate Resource page for further information and to access information guides. For [ Link removed ] , please reference tests (Edison Individual Contributor Workstyles #8203) (EEI SOPD II #5209) and (Substation Operations Physical Performance Test #4028). Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s), in some cases, may not need to retest again for this position.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at
- Electrical Installation Work
- Electronics Manufacturing
- High Voltage