About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Cable System Design Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in either Motherwell, Scotland or Middlesborough.What you'll be doing
As a Cable System Design Engineer, your main responsibilities will be as follows:-
Who we're looking for
- Design of cable systems ranging from 11kV to 400kV to suit the load capacity and network constraints;
- The preparation of designs and drawings required for cable system installation;
- Management of project design delivery to meet needs of various clients;
- The design of cable installation systems, carrying out pulling tension calculations and thermo-mechanical force calculations;
- The design of the cable system electrically, carrying out current rating calculations, earthing system design and induced voltage calculations;
- Liaising with various suppliers and carrying out checks on components for installation including cables and accessories, trench backfill materials, structures etc;
- Application of client enquiry specifications and drawings;
- Liaising with client representatives, Balfour Beatty estimators and operations engineers as required.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- Degree level qualifications in electrical or mechanical engineering;
- Experience and knowledge of EHV (11kV to 400kV) power systems and equipment and ideally power cables and substation equipment;
- Knowledge of cable systems electrical engineering;
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and circuit schematics;
- Understanding of cable installation techniques and system design procedures.
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.About us
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at [ Link removed ]
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: [ Link removed ]
click here to continue.-->
- Electrical Substation
- Engineering Drawing
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering