Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
Solar penetration is less than 1%, but just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best solar technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency, and performance. SunPower offers the only solar + storage solution designed and warranted by one company that gives customers control over electricity consumption. Through design, installation, maintenance, and monitoring, SunPower provides its world-class solar solutions to residential and commercial customers across the U.S.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate, and driven team of more than 2,500 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. SunPower welcomes the forward thinkers, the future savers of the world, the freedom chasers and all those demanding better, cleaner energy.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
SunPower is seeking a Director of Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting to join our world-class, dynamic controllership organization at our headquarters in San Jose, CA. This position manages ongoing compliance with the Company’s SEC and other external reporting requirements, as well as lead the technical accounting group in the implementation of new accounting standards and accounting for complex transactions. You will bring a strong SEC and technical accounting knowledge to help adapt to changes that impact accounting and financial reporting and help scale the financial reporting and technical accounting function alongside the continuous growth of the Company and operations.
As a trusted partner to the business unit controllers and key business leaders, you will proactively address technical accounting and reporting topics relating to new accounting standards, complex transactions and new or changes in business models. You will be actively involved in drafting financial and non-financial disclosures, coordinate activities of the Company’s Disclosure Committee, and interface with broad cross-functional teams, including executive management and the Board of Directors. This position manages a team of 3 people and reports to the Assistant Corporate Controller.
*Depending on the location of the successful candidate, this position may be filled remotely.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the Company’s external financial reporting process, including SEC reporting (Form 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, etc.), quarterly and annual census as well as other regulatory reporting, as required
- Coordinate the completion of, and maintain supporting documentation for, all areas of external reporting as well as the preparation of GAAP and SEC checklists
- Manage the XBRL detail tagging and review process for our quarterly and annual reports
- Support annual audit and quarterly review activities with external auditors
- Ensure appropriate implementation of new accounting standards and pronouncements into the financial statements and accounting function
- Participate in the Company’s Disclosure Committee and when appropriate Audit Committee
- Monitor regulatory or business changes and address impacts to accounting operations
- Provide leadership, business partnering or decision support on complex transactions
- Collaborate with cross-functional business partners to identify continuous improvement opportunities
- Responsible for accounting for and administration of stock-based compensation and related disclosures in the financial statements
- Research applicable GAAP and SEC accounting and disclosure requirements for new, non-recurring and complex transactions
- Assist in implementing process enhancements and automating existing processes where possible
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or equivalent MBA (CPA preferred)
- 10+ years of public accounting and/or industry experience (Big 4 experience a plus)
- Exceptional written communication skills required – sample documentation may be requested
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to work well on large and small cross-functional teams
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office products with very strong Excel, Word, and PowerPoint skills – creating clear and concise presentations is a key attribute of a successful candidate
- Working knowledge of Oracle preferred but not required
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [ Email address blocked ] . Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.
- Business Model
- Business Process Improvement
- Decision Support Systems