Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Air Quality Engineer within our US Onshore Air Quality department based in Houston, Texas.
Essential Job Duties:
- Prepares and submits air permits, amendments and ensure compliance with all applicable air quality regulations for O&G facilities across the Oxy Permian Business Unit (Texas and New Mexico).
- Works with the Facilities Engineering and Operations groups to evaluate design, construction and operational change projects to ensure that regulatory applicability is determined and appropriate permitting has been conducted.
- Works with development, Facilities Engineers (FE’s) and operations to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local air regulations.
- Prepares emissions inventories and annual reporting for New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) compliance, including performing engineering calculations and modeling, and works with operations and field techs to ensure continued compliance.
- Provides guidance and mentors air quality specialists and techs.
- Ensures accurate and timely deliverables for required field compliance reporting. Prepare Title V and state air permit applications and under NSPS, Maximum Achievable Control Technology (MACT), National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) compliance, testing and reporting, Serve as consultant to HSE/ENV specialists in Oxy’s Permian businesses. Perform Maintenance, Startup and Shutdown (MSS) and malfunction event analysis at field facilities, perform QA/QC on Affirmative Defenses and resolution of Notices of Violation and enforcement actions.
- Conducts routine evaluation of facility operations to ensure that air permits are being complied with, and stay evergreen.
- Conducts field-based training for operations personnel on local permit requirements to ensure that programs for compliance are in place and adequate.
- Works with automation and plant production engineers to develop tracking tools and models for assisting in compliance monitoring.
- Communicates regularly with operations personnel to maintain a high level of knowledge for compliance in the field.
- Works with Houston staff for maintaining current on environmental regulations applicable to operations and formulates compliance strategies consistent with Oxy policy.
- Oversees consultants as required in the development of specialized permitting.
- Coordinates routine compliance inspections with Operations for air permits and participates in external audits as required.
- Attends technical meetings of trade association work groups as needed to assist in developing and improving regulatory requirements.
- Maintains files for air permits and compliance reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Petroleum or Civil Engineering;
- 5 years or more experience in environmental air permitting and compliance working directly related to Oil and Gas operations
- Ability to interact and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Well–developed verbal and written communication skills, problem analysis skills, and technical translation skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and adjust quickly to changes in priorities
- Ability to read, comprehend, interpret, communicate, and consistently apply environmental rules and regulations
- Strong math, science and computer skills
- Ability to use air quality software for modeling such as Promax, E&P Tanks, GryCalc, and AP-42 methodology to prepare air permit applications
- Strong skills in process simulation and data management.
- Professional Engineering License in Texas and/or New Mexico or ability to obtain license is preferred
- Experience with environmental management information systems (EMIS) and support software (ex. Intelex, ACTs, Enviance/Cority, Essential Suites, etc.) preferred.
Relocation: Will not be offered at this time
Occidental does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Product Quality Assurance
- Environmental Laws
- Mact Standards
- Regulatory Requirements
- Environmental Resource Management