Leading societies to a low carbon future, Alstom develops and markets mobility solutions that provide the sustainable foundations for the future of transportation. Our product portfolio ranges from high-speed trains, metros, monorail, and trams to integrated systems, customised services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a caring, responsible, and innovative company where more than 70,000 people lead the way to greener and smarter mobility, worldwide
R&D Engineer Interiors (M/F) – Mechanical Design
Location: Valenciennes, France
You will join our Center of Excellence, Key actor in the design and development or interior train parts for Rolling Stock , with more than 160 people, & 22 different nationalities , designer, buyer, industrial, quality, Project Managers, & Experts , working both for French & international projects.
What are my responsibilities?
Purpose of the Job/Objective
- In charge of the design, development & qualification of rolling stock interiors mechanical parts that bring innovative features to railway vehicles, focusing on modularity & evolutivity of the interiors (e.g. reconfigurable layouts)
- In charge of identifying new technologies with promising benefits and monitoring their technological & maturity level
- Reports to: Head of R&D - Interiors
- Manages: suppliers, subcontractors
- Network & Links
Internal Interfaces: Eco-design engineers, Product engineers, Engineering teams, Sourcing & Costing Team, Legal team, Tender team, Central Innovation team
External Interfaces: Suppliers, Customers, Independent laboratories
- KPI R&D Projects (OTIF, Design Review on time, budget adherence)
- KPI Innovation generation & exploitation (number inventions, use on commercial projects)
Your responsibilities include:
- Executes and manages research and product development projects (internal + at suppliers) related to innovative interiors parts & sub-systems for implementation into railway vehicles.
- Designs and draws interiors parts of the train in the digital mock-up using Catia V5 and DMA, taking into consideration inputs such as modularity, weight, acoustics, eco design, aerodynamics and aeraulics
- Optimizes the parts design to reach recurring and non-recurring costs targets and ensure the committed planning
- Analyzes the market and competition (industrial watch, scientific & technological watch) in relation to mechanical engineering
- Suggests innovative solutions and R&D partnerships opportunities in line with Alstom’s development strategy, and taking into account customer’s needs and requirements.
- Ensures applicability of the developed products onto commercial projects through close collaboration with the Marketing, Tender & Project teams (Engineering, Costing, Sourcing, Quality, etc.)
- Contributes to internal budget collection for R&D activities and manages reporting to internal customers
- Develops the network of internal and external R&D partners for innovation in relation to modular & reconfigurable mechanical assemblies.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Engineering Master/PhD degree in mechanical engineering
- At least 3yrs experience in R&D / product development of mechanical parts in an industrial, preferably international, context
- At ease with mechanical simulation & design tools (excellent skills in CATIA V5, and ideally DMA) and programing (e.g. Matlab/Python)
- Proven R&D project management experience in an industrial environment
- Experience in railway, aeronautics or automotive is a plus
- Autonomous, results driven and team-oriented personality with strong relationship skills
- Ability to prioritize and to work effectively under pressure to meet the deadlines
- Strong passion for innovation and questioning the status quo, and perceiving (upcoming) market needs
- Fast prototyper, likes to experiment in order to quickly show/test new concepts & solutions
- Intrinsic passion for eco-design related topics (recyclability, renewable materials, circular economy, etc.) and able to act as ambassador internally & externally
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to work in an international environment; Speak and write in English; French is a bonus.
- Travels: suppliers and R&D partners visits. <15% of the time
Alstom is the leading company in the mobility sector, solving the most interesting challenges for tomorrow’s mobility. That’s why we value inquisitive and innovative people who are passionate about working together to reinvent mobility, making it smarter and more sustainable. Day after day, we are building an agile, inclusive and responsible culture, where a diverse group of people are offered opportunities to learn, grow and advance in their careers, with options across functions and geographic locations. Are you ready to join a truly international community of great people on a challenging journey with a tangible impact and purpose?
Equal opportunity statement:
Alstom is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive working environment where all our employees are encouraged to reach their full potential, and individual differences are valued and respected. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by local law.
- Assembly And Installation
- Automotive Industry